Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A New Year and The Power of Social Media

With one week left in this month, I thought it was time to write a new post. A lot has been going on with the Parents of Gifted Children Resource Group and hopefully things will be getting even busier! This is a good thing and I'm looking forward to the events that are in the works in the upcoming months.
We had a successful January 19th meeting with six parents attending (one of them a new member from Sussex county) and I went home with my head swimming with lots of ideas on how to expand our group. One of those ways was to create a Facebook page for our group and just after I did that I got over 70 hits on this blog! Talk about the power of social media!
As soon as I get the details of our February meeting set, I'll be planning on advertising in the local newspapers (which you can now do online and for free!) and contacting the schools' gifted programs to have meeting flyers sent home. I'm also going to try and post flyers in the library, book store, and perhaps get an ad in the Odyssey of the Mind program. If you have other ideas on how to promote our group or the meeting just leave a comment.
Twitter is another way to connect with people which I still haven't gotten the hang of, but I intend to keep trying. I've been going onto #gtchat on Fridays at 7pm (there is also a noon chat), which is hosted by Deborah Mersino of www.ingeniosus.net. Now that I know how to go onto www.tweetchat.com (Thank you to www.dazzledandfrazzled.com for blogging about it) for #gtchat, it should make it much easier to follow and comment. It is so wild to be a part of a global chat and you come away with a sense of comraderie and energy to keep you going in your advocacy efforts.
Please come back next month for further developments in the Parents of Gifted Children Resource Group!

Thanks for reading,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment